The patio is an open-air living room where you can spend time with friends and enjoy the beauty of nature. This element of landscape design is a courtyard, fenced on all sides.
The idea is to create a special relaxation zone, a secluded area, protected from prying eyes. For the construction of a patio, in most cases, they choose a place near the wall of the building - where it is sunny and cozy, and in the event of a sudden bad weather, you can quickly move into the house.
There are several options for choosing a patio:
- classic patios with and without a canopy;
- angular - in the presence of a "G" or U-shaped structure;
- balcony patios;
- patio with barbecue area;
- patio - summer kitchen with a sink for dishes and work tables for cooking;
- spacious patio living room;
- patio solarium with sunbathing areas;
- patio with fireplace;
- patio with pool;
- patio by the pond;
Materials for creating a patio
In our work we use natural wood (impregnated pine, cedar and larch), as well as terrace boards and other plastic elements (composite), decking - garden parquet. It is made from solid wood, subject to heat treatment. We also perform decking from Trex wood-polymer composite.
Natural wood - board
It is a natural, environmentally friendly material. This material has a serious drawback - natural wood is too susceptible to natural factors. Rain and snow will quickly degrade the wooden patio area at the dacha, no matter how you look after it and take care of it. It is very afraid of precipitation, prone to rotting and insect attacks. The board will have to be regularly treated with protective equipment, and this takes a lot of time and money.
Decking board - decking or thermal composite board.
In fact, this is an artificial material that is devoid of most of the disadvantages of natural wood - it does not require additional processing and, by installing such a board, you immediately get a beautiful surface.
The first option is more natural, but also more expensive. A coating is obtained from the composite, which in appearance can be easily confused with wood, but it is not afraid of moisture and does not rot. Both are great for patios.
Stages of calculating a patio construction project
The technology for erecting a frame patio made of wood or decking consists in the need to install a wooden frame, which is placed on the foundation for a more thorough and high-quality installation.
- The choice of the type of foundation: block (Type A1), monolith (Type A1) or screw piles
- Patio structure: impregnated pine (B1 En2 * 8, B2 En2 * 10, B3 En2 * 12) or larch (M1 En2 * 8, M2 En2 * 10, M3 En2 * 12)
- Floor: impregnated pine (PL1), cedar (PL2), larch (PL3) + finishing: visible (PL-ST) or hidden (PL CE)
- Railing: impregnated pine, cedar or larch + aluminum grates
- Metal fence type: straight (STDX) and decorative (STDLX)Ladder (L1 - single-flight, LM - double-flight, LMX - triangular)Lower patio screen (JP X1 - pine batten, JP X2 - plastic batten, JP PL1 - impregnated pine board, JP PL2 - cedar, JP PL3 - larch)
- Protective walls and ceilings: ST1 (impregnated pine), ST2 (cedar), ST1 (larch)
- Arbors: ST H1, ST H2, ST H3
The history of the patio
The word "patio" came to us from the Latin language and literally translates "to be open, accessible." Patios first appeared in the Roman Empire. This word was understood as a paved courtyard, fenced off from all sides by the walls of houses. There was a full-fledged room without a roof, and it was used mostly for relaxing on hot days.
The idea of organizing patios was later borrowed by the ancient Greeks, and then began to be actively used by the inhabitants of Southern Europe and Latin America. Many researchers say that already in the Middle Ages, people agreed to build their houses so that space would be formed inside. Parks were out of the question, so the patio was decorated with plants and sometimes fountains, and it became the best place to wait out the heat.